One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car that sets the pace and positions racers for a rolling start in a warm-up lap or laps before a race, or that returns to control the pace in temporarily hazardous conditions.
- ‘His Grand Marshal duties also include leading the 43-car field in the pace laps from the Grand Marshal pace car.’
- ‘This week we answer the question, Why do drivers swerve back and forth while running behind the pace car before a race?’
- ‘After the dignified silence the V8s burst once more in action and with the pre-drawn grid positions giving pole to Andy Dallard #5, the cars began their rolling lap behind the pace car.’
- ‘Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Johnny Rutherford, who serves as a driver coach and pace car driver for the IRL, said Patrick has all the tools needed to be a winning race car driver.’
- ‘Among his duties is coaching the Menards Infiniti Pro Series drivers and driving the pace car for all events.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.