Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of manufactured products) not containing chemicals that are destructive to the ozone layer.
environmentally friendly, ecologically sound, environmentally sound, non-polluting, ozone-friendly, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient, fuel-saving, low-carbonView synonyms
- ‘At first she was disappointed that I was making so much drama over a haircut, but after an hour or so she softened up and went to Wal-Mart, returning with a bag full of ozone-friendly hair products.’
- ‘Although it's possible to retrofit much of this equipment to be serviced with ozone-friendly alternatives, costs can run anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars.’
- ‘HFCs were originally introduced as an ozone-friendly alternative to CFCs; however, they are now recognized as a powerful greenhouse gas, with as much as 4,000 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide.’
- ‘The new product, HFC - 134a, is regarded as the best ozone-friendly replacement for CFC - 12, which is used in refrigerators, air conditioners, as aerosol propellants and in producing foam plastics.’
- ‘One of the largest suppliers of hydrofluorocarbons to industry, the company executives presented strategies for maintaining safety, using different channels and coming up with new combinations for ozone-friendly molecules.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.