Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone released by the pituitary gland that causes increased contraction of the uterus during labor and stimulates the ejection of milk into the ducts of the breasts.
- ‘Suckling causes the mother's pituitary gland to release two hormones, oxytocin and prolactin.’
- ‘The plan was to use a gradually increasing concentration of oxytocin in order to stimulate uterine contractions.’
- ‘Another chemical, the hormone oxytocin, is associated with both sexual activity and maternal bonding in humans.’
- ‘There, hormones called prolactin and oxytocin are released into the bloodstream.’
- ‘But oxytocin is also the hormone of affiliation.’
1920s: from Greek oxutokia sudden delivery (from oxus sharp + tokos childbirth) + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.