One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mask placed over the nose and mouth and connected to a supply of oxygen, used when the body is not able to gain enough oxygen by breathing air, for example at high altitudes, or because of a medical condition.
face mask, protective mask, gas mask, fencing mask, iron mask, ski mask, dust maskView synonyms
- ‘The youngster had breathing problems and was given an oxygen mask, inhalers and steroid tablets after contracting a viral-induced wheeze last summer.’
- ‘When you wake up you may find that you have an oxygen mask over your mouth and nose.’
- ‘The next thing I knew I was in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose.’
- ‘A man is lying in bed in a Catholic hospital with an oxygen mask over his mouth.’
- ‘For the interviews, the actor lay on a trolley in a hospital gown, wearing an oxygen mask and displaying obvious discomfort on movement.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.