Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mask placed over the nose and mouth and connected to a supply of oxygen, used when the body is not able to gain enough oxygen by breathing air, for example, at high altitudes or because of a medical condition.
face mask, protective mask, gas mask, oxygen mask, fencing mask, iron mask, ski mask, dust maskView synonyms
- ‘A man is lying in bed in a Catholic hospital with an oxygen mask over his mouth.’
- ‘The youngster had breathing problems and was given an oxygen mask, inhalers and steroid tablets after contracting a viral-induced wheeze last summer.’
- ‘For the interviews, the actor lay on a trolley in a hospital gown, wearing an oxygen mask and displaying obvious discomfort on movement.’
- ‘When you wake up you may find that you have an oxygen mask over your mouth and nose.’
- ‘The next thing I knew I was in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.