A substance that tends to bring about oxidation by being reduced and gaining electrons.
- ‘When an oxidizing agent removes electrons from a molecule, the chemical structure of the molecule is changed, and the physical properties (like color) are altered.’
- ‘The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘Bacteria act as oxidizing agents, releasing electrons to an anode immersed in the wastewater.’
- ‘The oxidizing agent causes the oxidation of an atom by receiving an electron from that atom and is itself reduced.’