One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process or result of oxidizing or being oxidized.
discoloration, rust, tarnishing, blackening, film, patinaView synonyms
- ‘The silver metal gives up some of its electrons and forms silver sulfide in a process called oxidation.’
- ‘Elemental bromine is made by oxidation, removal of electrons from bromide ions in brine.’
- ‘The drop in pH is probably mainly due to oxidation of upward diffusing sulphide.’
- ‘On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.’
- ‘In the case of ethanol, oxidation can occur under the action of certain species of bacteria.’
Late 18th century: from French ( modern French oxydation), from oxider ‘oxidize’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.