One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme which promotes the transfer of a hydrogen atom from a particular substrate to an oxygen molecule, forming water or hydrogen peroxide.
- ‘First, peroxidases and oxidases follow a different time-course of induction during wound healing.’
- ‘Despite many important advances in the understanding of terminal oxidases, the mechanism by which the electron transfer events are coupled to proton translocation is unknown.’
- ‘Polyphenol oxidase is the enzyme that makes phenolics react to form brown pigments.’
- ‘Briefly, plasma lactic acid is converted to pyruvate and hydrogen peroxide by lactate oxidase.’
- ‘Respiration in wheat endosperm was measured together with the activities of citrate synthase and cytochrome oxidase.’
Late 19th century: from French oxydase, from oxyde ‘oxide’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.