One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oxidizing agent.
- ‘Most of the oxidants in cigarette smoke are not ordinary atoms or molecules, but ‘free radicals’.’
- ‘Superoxide acts as a reducing agent and helps produce other oxidants through chemical reactions.’
- ‘Species that cause oxidation are called oxidants or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘In general, the surface can be treated chemically, using solvents, oxidants, strong acids, or bases.’
- ‘The oxidant will react with most organic materials and certain inorganic materials under the conditions of the test.’
Late 19th century: from French ( modern French oxydant), present participle of oxider ‘oxidize’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.