Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curved lake formed at a former oxbow where the main stream of the river has cut across the narrow end and no longer flows around the loop of the bend.
- ‘South Moravia is home to extensive marshes, oxbow lakes and the largest fragments of hardwood floodplain forest in Central Europe.’
- ‘In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a small family of endangered giant river otters lolls gracefully in a protected area of an oxbow lake nearby.’
- ‘Just across the Mobile County line, pine plantations yield to a primeval landscape of moss-draped trees and oxbow lakes.’
- ‘Hereabouts the river meanders; there is a hint of an oxbow lake.’
oxbow lake/ˈäksˌbō lāk/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.