One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A curved lake formed at a former oxbow where the main stream of the river has cut across the narrow end and no longer flows around the loop of the bend.
- ‘South Moravia is home to extensive marshes, oxbow lakes and the largest fragments of hardwood floodplain forest in Central Europe.’
- ‘Meanwhile, a small family of endangered giant river otters lolls gracefully in a protected area of an oxbow lake nearby.’
- ‘Hereabouts the river meanders; there is a hint of an oxbow lake.’
- ‘Just across the Mobile County line, pine plantations yield to a primeval landscape of moss-draped trees and oxbow lakes.’
- ‘In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.’
oxbow lake/ˈäksˌbō lāk/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.