One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of synthetic antibiotics that inhibit protein synthesis, used against Gram-positive bacteria.
- ‘The most recent new class of antibiotics that I can think of are the oxazolidinones, but resistance to the first one is already showing up.’
- ‘It is the first drug of a new class of antibiotics, the oxazolidinones.’
- ‘The oxazolidinones are a new family of totally synthetic antimicrobials for which there are no pre-existing resistance genes in bacteria.’
- ‘Linezolid is a synthetic antibiotic belonging to a new class of antimicrobials called the oxazolidinones.’
- ‘A new class of drugs, oxazolidinones, is available in oral formulations that may have effectiveness comparable with vancomycin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.