An antibiotic drug made by chemical modification of penicillin and used to treat bacterial infections.
- ‘Nafcillin and oxacillin come in oral preparations but are poorly absorbed.’
- ‘The patient was switch to intravenous oxacillin and cefuroxime.’
- ‘A high proportion of these bacteria demonstrate resistance to multiple antibiotic medications, especially to methicillin and oxacillin.’
- ‘Beta-lactam antibiotics include methicillin and other more common antibiotics such as oxacillin, penicillin and amoxicillin.’
- ‘Dicloxacillin, oxacillin, first-generation cephalosporins, or amoxicillin-clavulanate are also acceptable alternatives.’
1960s: blend of oxazole and penicillin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.