One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in soccer) a goal scored inadvertently when the ball is struck into the goal by a player on the defensive team.
- ‘To add insult to injury the final goal was an own goal by the Abbey centre half.’
- ‘Two of the TNR premier Division games last weekend saw the scoring open with own goals by the home team.’
- ‘A team may win a game 5-1, but it can still score an own goal, have three yellow cards and a player sent off.’
- ‘Who has scored the most own goals in English football history?’
- ‘They also had two players sent off, a penalty awarded against them and scored an own goal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.