One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in soccer) a goal scored inadvertently when the ball is struck into the goal by a player on the defensive team.
- ‘A team may win a game 5-1, but it can still score an own goal, have three yellow cards and a player sent off.’
- ‘Who has scored the most own goals in English football history?’
- ‘They also had two players sent off, a penalty awarded against them and scored an own goal.’
- ‘To add insult to injury the final goal was an own goal by the Abbey centre half.’
- ‘Two of the TNR premier Division games last weekend saw the scoring open with own goals by the home team.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.