One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small owl found chiefly in Asia and Africa.
Genus Glaucidium and Athene, family Strigidae: several species
- ‘At dusk, the spotted owlets in the cracked-up jackfruit and mango trees would be calling querulously, bobbing their heads and glaring at you out of great golden eyes.’
- ‘Referring to the flood-lights that will be invariably used during musical programmes, he added that apart from disorienting nocturnal birds like night herons and spotted owlets, the birds would be made vulnerable to predators.’
- ‘Orange headed thrush, Indian Pitta and resident birds such as oriole, spotted owlet and hoopoe can be sighted on this campus.’
- ‘In India, our most familiar owl is the spotted owlet, a regular inhabitant of large trees in gardens and parks and avenues, even in big cities.’
- ‘For few seconds I just lost my senses… but was able to make out a spotted owlet sitting.’
- 1.1 A young owl of any kind.
- ‘In a peak year for hares, the hares edged out the voles as a source of meat for both adult owls and their owlets.’
- ‘The endearing symbol of the museum is Spooky, patterned after a great horned owl that was donated to the organization as an owlet in 1951 and which lived to the age of 38 years.’
- ‘When the owlets fledge, they exercise their new ability to fly by leaving the immediate nest area, but the parents continue to supply them with food for a few more weeks.’
- ‘The female broods the young for 2-3 weeks after they hatch, while the male brings food to the female and the owlets.’
- ‘Young owlets venture out of the nest onto nearby branches at about three weeks, and begin taking short flights at about five weeks.’
2another term for noctuid
- ‘Most species are robust moths with long usually brownish wings, which have given them the common name of Owlet Moths. Some owlets have a different appearance, such as the Fan-feet and the Snouts.’
- ‘Noctuid, owlet, and cutworm (Noctuidae) moths are also stout-bodied. Their fore wings are narrow, and their hind wings are fan-shaped.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.