One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discharge ova or ovules from the ovary.
- ‘There is more discharge when you ovulate or breastfeed, or when you are sexually excited.’
- ‘The tester is a lipstick-sized, portable microscope that a woman licks to test her saliva to determine if and when she is ovulating.’
- ‘Even for women who ovulate, there is no information about oocyte quality and consequent embryo quality after fertilisation.’
- ‘The average fertile period for a woman lasts only six days per menstrual cycle and ends the day she ovulates.’
- ‘When the donor mare ovulates, she is bred to the chosen stallion through artificial insemination, using frozen, cooled or fresh semen.’
- ‘Fillies began ovulating and advertising estrus by adopting a distinctive posture between one and two years of age.’
- ‘Other studies have shown that women undertaking extreme exercise regimens had ceased ovulating and menstruating.’
- ‘If patients ovulated in six subsequent cycles, no further treatment was given.’
- ‘The key is for the woman to keep a diary to work out when she ovulates - the point of the cycle where sex is most likely to result in pregnancy.’
- ‘Homeopathically, I decided to use glandular remedies to stimulate her ovaries to ovulate.’
- ‘Fertility drugs may be used if the female partner isn't ovulating (making and releasing eggs) properly.’
- ‘Human mothers, by contrast, don't ovulate again right after birth, nor do they produce offspring with more than one genetic father at a time.’
- ‘Females ovulate only after spending several days with a male and then mate several times over several days to ensure fertilization.’
- ‘The women in the study were 18 to 44 years of age, were ovulating normally, and were not taking oral contraceptives.’
- ‘The chance of getting pregnant by artificial insemination is increased if the female partner has healthy Fallopian tubes and ovulates regularly.’
- ‘Firstly, only a small percentage of women ovulate exactly 14 days before the onset of menses.’
- ‘Among many of these species, females ovulate just after giving birth, perhaps encouraging males to stick around until after babies are born.’
- ‘Should consider managing cycle to ensure mare has ovulated and finished oestrus before start of competition.’
- ‘These behaviors will likely dry up your cervical mucus and also keep you from ovulating or menstruating.’
- ‘There are several means by which one can be certain that a woman is ovulating and these are tests that are frequently recommended in our program.’
Late 19th century: back-formation from ovulation, or from medieval Latin ovulum ‘little egg’ (see ovule) + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.