One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tubular organ through which a female insect or fish deposits eggs.
- ‘Injuries were visible as sclerotized scars in the female ovipositor, and their occurrence increased with mating frequency.’
- ‘After we placed a wasp on the fruit, she typically initiated searching, which involved slow scanning of the fruit surface using her antennae, and probing with her ovipositor inside fruit wounds and punctures in search for eggs.’
- ‘The female ovipositor becomes loosely articulated.’
- ‘Medflies ruin crops when fertile females use their tubelike ovipositors to punch holes in the skin of a ripening fruit or vegetable, then pump their eggs inside.’
- ‘At this stage, the conical ovipositor of the female becomes visible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.