One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A trick taken by the declarer in excess of the contract.
- ‘In Auction Bridge, overtricks count towards making game, so it is only necessary to bid high enough to win the contract - there is no incentive to bid all the tricks you can make.’
- ‘If you take more tricks than you bid you lose one point for each overtrick.’
- ‘For example, if the bid is 3 Diamonds and the defenders take 11 tricks, they score for a partial with two overtricks.’
- ‘In this respect it has an affinity with the exact bidding games, especially as there is sometimes a penalty for making too many overtricks.’
- ‘However, some play that the declarer receives nothing extra for overtricks and some play that the declarer who takes 9 or more tricks wins nothing at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.