One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The superimposing of one printed character or one coin design on another.
- ‘Its primary purpose is to switch from insert mode to overstrike mode during text editing, and I never use overstrike mode.’
- ‘If we use absolute coordinates to place symbols on a map plotted for these scales, we often encounter symbology overstrike or, in layman's terms, an unreadable cartographic mess.’
- ‘Over the years, a few coins surfaced where one could easily see the overstrike of the 1/2 Balboa on a Kennedy Half Dollar.’
- 1.1 A coin showing one design superimposed on another.
- ‘Overstrike - a coin that instead of being struck on a blank planchlet was accidentally struck on a previously struck coin.’
- ‘This unusual coin is an overstrike - a coin of Arcadius made using an existing coin of Theodosius II instead of a fresh, blank flan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.