One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of expressing or stating something too strongly; exaggeration.‘a classic piece of overstatement’‘to describe the show as a success would be an overstatement’
exaggeration, overemphasis, magnification, amplification, overplaying, dramatization, colouring, embroidery, embellishment, enhancement, inflation, extravagance, hyperbole, excessiveness, overestimation, overvaluation, aggrandizementView synonyms
- ‘At first glance, such a comment seems like hyperbole, an eulogizing overstatement.’
- ‘Official overstatements of the amount the nation has been setting aside for retirement have compounded the problem.’
- ‘To say that all purges are bad is probably an overstatement.’
- ‘I'm not so sure you're helping your cause when you make silly overstatements like that.’
- ‘It sounds like a ridiculous overstatement, but it's true.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.