One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of expressing or stating something too strongly; exaggeration.‘a classic piece of overstatement’‘to describe the show as a success would be an overstatement’
exaggeration, overemphasis, magnification, amplification, overplaying, dramatization, colouring, embroidery, embellishment, enhancement, inflation, extravagance, hyperbole, excessiveness, overestimation, overvaluation, aggrandizementView synonyms
- ‘To say that all purges are bad is probably an overstatement.’
- ‘I'm not so sure you're helping your cause when you make silly overstatements like that.’
- ‘At first glance, such a comment seems like hyperbole, an eulogizing overstatement.’
- ‘It sounds like a ridiculous overstatement, but it's true.’
- ‘Official overstatements of the amount the nation has been setting aside for retirement have compounded the problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.