Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shoe worn over a normal shoe, typically either of waterproof material to protect the normal shoe in wet weather or of fabric to protect a floor surface.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘The only way I would know if people were there is if they left their overshoes outside, in the hallway.’
- ‘Hunting in snow, I'd wear heavy wool socks, shoes, and rubber overshoes.’
- ‘Bathe your feet before starting in cold weather, and wear loose overshoes and gloves two or three sizes too large.’
- ‘When George comes downstairs and is about to leave for a visit with Emily, his mother reminds him to put on his overshoes.’
- ‘His Velcro overshoes squished upon the carpet as he walked back to his seat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.