One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shoe worn over a normal shoe, typically either of waterproof material to protect the normal shoe in wet weather or of fabric to protect a floor surface.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Bathe your feet before starting in cold weather, and wear loose overshoes and gloves two or three sizes too large.’
- ‘His Velcro overshoes squished upon the carpet as he walked back to his seat.’
- ‘When George comes downstairs and is about to leave for a visit with Emily, his mother reminds him to put on his overshoes.’
- ‘Hunting in snow, I'd wear heavy wool socks, shoes, and rubber overshoes.’
- ‘The only way I would know if people were there is if they left their overshoes outside, in the hallway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.