A shoe worn over a normal shoe, typically either of waterproof material to protect the normal shoe in wet weather or of fabric to protect a floor surface.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘His Velcro overshoes squished upon the carpet as he walked back to his seat.’
- ‘Bathe your feet before starting in cold weather, and wear loose overshoes and gloves two or three sizes too large.’
- ‘Hunting in snow, I'd wear heavy wool socks, shoes, and rubber overshoes.’
- ‘The only way I would know if people were there is if they left their overshoes outside, in the hallway.’
- ‘When George comes downstairs and is about to leave for a visit with Emily, his mother reminds him to put on his overshoes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.