Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Too ripe; past its best.‘overripe tomatoes’
bad, gone bad, off, gone off, turned, curdled, fermented, rancidView synonyms
- ‘Lately, though, there has been so much low-hanging fruit that you can't take a step in any direction without bumping into an overripe mango.’
- ‘If you want to make top-drawer Zinfandel, planting it in cooler hillside spots is essential, as is restricting its yield and picking before the grapes are overripe.’
- ‘The section on overindulgence captures the well-known observation of drunken robins that have ingested too much overripe fruit.’
- ‘Allow the fruit to remain on the plant until fully mature (and a bit overripe, but not rotten).’
- ‘I don't remember whose idea it was, but we began to pick the overripe mangoes and to throw them at the passing cars.’
- ‘Never mind about physiological ripeness, I have yet to meet a winemaker who is able to define what is meant by this term, for what is perfect in one vineyard is deemed overripe in another.’
- ‘An intricate world of colour, geometric pattern and form, from the blackened seeds of overripe maize, to the strangely ephemeral beauty of a poppy about to burst into flower to the gorgeous spines of a sprig of rosemary.’
- ‘Throw a couple overripe bananas (we call them giraffe bananas) in the blender along with some milk, plain yogurt and a couple of ice cubes.’
- ‘Some crops need to be picked everyday: zucchini grows gigantic if left on the vine and cherry tomatoes get overripe.’
- ‘Zack wailed, mortified, his face turning red and giving him the appearance of an overripe tomato.’
- ‘My lips were split like a pair of overripe tomatoes.’
- ‘The alcohol in overripe fruit makes wasps aggressive - they are the lager louts of the insect world.’
- ‘It's a light sauce, made with overripe bananas and stem ginger, that can be added to everything from cold meat to stir fry and sandwiches,’ says Isabella.’
- ‘Increasing temperatures in the French champagne-producing Epernay region are causing grapes to become overripe and too sweet, sparking fears the famous region may no longer be the best place for growing the grapes.’
- ‘I couldn't taste fresh figs much, either - I might have used overripe figs and they might have gotten blended into the batter, perhaps.’
- ‘For example, you can make a simple but tasty sauce from overripe cherry tomatoes, onions and garlic.’
- ‘An overripe pear was hurled and left a brown smear on the upstairs window.’
- ‘The two major sugars that accumulate in grapes occur in about equal amounts; at the beginning of ripening glucose exceeds fructose (up to fivefold), but in overripe grapes there is less glucose than fructose.’
- ‘Once it turns clear, the tomato is overripe and flavor diminishes.’
- ‘One overzealous man even tried to sell him some overripe tomatoes once, and it took only one glare to send the man scurrying on his way.’
- 1.1 (especially of an artistic work) exaggerated or overblown.‘an overripe melodrama’
- ‘As for his poetry, it may be a little overripe in places.’
- ‘Outside the recent and welcome burlesque revival, the concept of bawdy humour - something that's proud to be naughty and a little overripe in the interest of a plain old good time - has been largely absent from Toronto stages.’
- ‘And above all, what if those bands aren't the overripe gods of the sixties and seventies, but the inescapable products of them, either in worship or in reaction or both?’
- ‘The opulence of such clergy as were close to the court expressed itself in the overripe late Gothic of the great collegiate churches at Stirling, Linlithgow, Rosslyn, and Perth.’
- ‘The script is overripe, but give it time - I disliked this movie right after I turned off the TV, but since then I haven't been able to get it out of my mind.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.