One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having qualifications that exceed the requirements of a particular job.
- ‘The eventual outcome is a foregone conclusion - overqualified employees holding jobs they find boring, unchallenging, and unrewarding.’
- ‘My friend, however, was turned down, and it was explained to him that while he was in fact highly qualified for the position, he was not quite as overqualified for it as the people who were actually chosen.’
- ‘Hell, I'm practically overqualified to be a journalist.’
- ‘Recently a newer colleague remarked to me that I must be overqualified for what I have to do.’
- ‘I've got a horrible feeling that I'm actually drastically overqualified for the job, and that I'm going to be wasting their time.’
- ‘What really happened was that for many decades offices employed vastly overqualified women to be secretaries, paying them a fraction of what they were worth.’
- ‘The point is that he's not bitter; the nation's army of overqualified supermarket shelf stackers is just a fact of life.’
- ‘Recent figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency show that ever more graduates are taking on jobs for which they are overqualified.’
- ‘Aside from possibly being deemed as overqualified, Ph.D. graduates have been criticized by some in corporate America as being unable to effectively transfer theories into working strategies or work as a team.’
- ‘Somehow, when I drop my application at a movie theatre or an office or the library, I always feel silly because I know I'm ridiculously overqualified for the post.’
- ‘He said: ‘Overseas doctors are overqualified for the jobs they do.’’
- ‘Either way, many students are sucked into the workforce at entry-level posts, grumbling that they're overqualified and underpaid.’
- ‘I forgot how demeaning it is to get rejected for a job you're overqualified for and really didn't want in the first place.’
- ‘You can't help being overqualified for a position, but you can tailor your resume and cover letter so that it more accurately speaks to the position for which you're applying.’
- ‘Many Jordanians now take jobs for which they are overqualified, simply to survive.’
- ‘He has a shelf full of Pulitzer Prizes and is probably overqualified to have any discussion with the panel on this program.’
- ‘Sure, I'm overqualified… I'm willing to stoop to that level.’
- ‘Some employers may even regard them as overqualified, with over-high expectations.’
- ‘A man, in other words, who is completely overqualified for the job of cable news talk show host.’
- ‘There were even candidates who were overqualified.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.