One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Containing more alcohol than proof spirit does.‘overproof rum’
- ‘If you don't need the alcoholic kick of an overproof rum, this one - with its clean mellow fruited taste - makes an ideal drink: straight over ice, for cocktails and with a mixer.’
- ‘The best part of weathering a storm in Carriacou is the sedating Jack Iron overproof rum.’
- ‘The locals tend to drink white overproof rums and it is well worth joining them.’
- ‘I loved the howling winds and horizontal sleet, especially once I'd reached the Station Hotel in Prahran when they made their own overproof beers.’
- ‘Beware the free sample described as ‘slightly overproof’: it'll clear your sinuses, perhaps permanently.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.