Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Prescribe (a drug or treatment) in greater amounts or on more occasions than necessary.‘doctors have been overprescribing antibiotics for decades’
- ‘Physicians overprescribe antibiotics because of patient demand and fear of lawsuits.’
- ‘Limiting the use of antibiotics on animals may not completely stop the growth of antibiotic resistance (the drugs are also overprescribed by doctors) but it's a good place to start.’
- ‘They thought physicians contributed to this dependence by overprescribing medication and supporting patients in excessive use of medications.’
- ‘The report urges continued vigilance against overprescribing antibiotics.’
- ‘In contrast, boys may be overprescribed some psychotropic medications.’
- ‘I love your philosophy, and I certainly agree that many medicines are overprescribed.’
- ‘Though it's probably true that antidepressant medication is overprescribed right now in America, it is nonetheless a crucial way for depressed people to get help.’
- ‘Opponents of the use of Ritalin in ADHD say the diagnosis is overused and the drug is greatly overprescribed.’
- ‘Guided by popular media reports, we may hastily conclude that doctors, by overprescribing antibiotics for people, are solely to blame for growing resistance.’
- ‘Costs are spiralling upward because doctors tend to overprescribe drugs, particularly to the elderly, and they tend to prescribe new, expensive drugs when a cheaper alternative is available.’
- ‘Stimulant treatment of ADHD has long been the subject of controversy, with some arguing that the drug is overprescribed and even dangerous because it can be abused.’
- ‘He lost his license for overprescribing narcotics.’
- ‘Lots of well-known people over the years have been victimized by a medical establishment that overprescribes all kinds of drugs, including painkillers.’
- ‘I have always heard that these drugs are overprescribed.’
- ‘In countries like Britain antibiotics have been overprescribed by doctors.’
- ‘Antimicrobial drugs are overprescribed and inappropriately used.’
- ‘Overusing broad-spectrum antibiotics is just as bad as overprescribing antibiotics in general when it comes to fostering bacterial resistance to antibiotics.’
- ‘It is very important that antibiotics are not overprescribed, but that comes back partly to the demands that patients frequently put on their doctors.’
- ‘Physicians cite diagnostic uncertainty, time pressure, and patient demand as the primary reasons for their tendency to overprescribe antibiotics.’
- ‘Older adults often are overprescribed antibiotics for treatment of chronic coughs with thickened sputum.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.