(of a company) having taken on too much debt.
- ‘The currency crashed - and so did overheated markets and over-leveraged economies across Asia.’
- ‘And small companies are not as weighed down as big Japanese companies with large payrolls and overleveraged balance sheets.’
- ‘We have seen money inundate the hedge fund community, adding an additional layer of leveraged speculation on top of an already egregiously overleveraged financial system.’
- ‘Thus the strain of the adjustment forced on its overleveraged UK operations falls directly on the Tata group in India.’
- ‘While other banks continued to funnel money to over-leveraged conglomerates, he scaled back exposure to them.’