Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessive growth.‘intestinal bacterial overgrowth’
- ‘The administration of ice chips is one way to reduce mouth dryness, make patients more comfortable, and keep down bacterial overgrowth.’
- ‘Naturopaths believe that many illnesses ranging from chronic fatigue to migraine are caused by overgrowth of thrush-causing yeast cells.’
- ‘It is characterized by a wide variety of deformities, namely malformations and overgrowth of soft tissue and bone.’
- ‘Intestinal imbalance leads to fungal overgrowth in almost all instances.’
- ‘Other studies have looked for fungal overgrowth and found none.’
- ‘Much more will be done next spring to give the cemetery what it deserves and the removal of overgrowth will be seen to as well.’
- ‘Learn the cause of intestinal yeast overgrowth and how to fix it to overcome cravings for sugars and other high-carb foods.’
- ‘In one of them there was fungal contamination and overgrowth making it impossible to detect bacterial growth.’
- ‘Bacterial overgrowth may be enhanced in the presence of sputum retention.’
- ‘It also may occur in patients with small bowel disorders and bacterial overgrowth.’
- ‘He said five years ago he promised to campaign for the clean-up of Killarney's lake shores and the removal of overgrowth which obstructs scenic views.’
- ‘A course of metronidazole and ciprofloxacin was also given empirically for bacterial overgrowth.’
- ‘The remains - amidst feverish overgrowth - allow only a foggy dream of the lost and hidden.’
- ‘Steroids, however, can lead to bacterial or fungal overgrowth in patients with already compromised skin.’
- ‘Pathways that were closed for around 100 years due to overgrowth have been re-opened.’
- ‘This test also indicates the likelihood of yeast and bacterial overgrowth in the gut.’
- ‘Walkers are calling for action to clear overgrowth on a footpath from Calne to Beckhampton.’
- ‘Heart failure results from the heart overgrowth and diabetes is the usual result of pancreatic changes.’
- ‘Salicylic acid is antibacterial and exfoliating, so it helps to suppress bacterial overgrowth and keeps pores clog-free.’
- ‘Endometrial cancer is related to overgrowth of the endometrium, or uterine lining.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.