Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Grow or spread over (something), especially so as to choke or stifle it.‘the mussels overgrow and smother whatever is underneath’
invade, storm, march into, occupy, infest, swarm over, surge over, flow over, inundate, swamp, overwhelm, permeate, penetrate, spread over, spread like wildfire over, run riot over, overgrow, grow overView synonyms
- ‘This can lead to reduced coral growth, inability to recover from hazards like cyclones, smothering of coral by sediment, fish poisoning and unusually high growth rates for organisms that overgrow coral or support its rivals.’
- ‘Later, a second generation of clear calcite, following the orientation of the earlier calcite, overgrew the fragments, forming uniform crystals beyond the rim of the crust.’
- ‘Galena may also overgrow clausthalite, and replace pyrite and chalcopyrite.’
- ‘Tunicates can overgrow sea scallops and mussels, and they may affect other species of clams and worms that live in the seabed below the tunicate colony.’
- ‘Some gardeners might spurn a plant that usurps and overgrows their garden.’
- ‘My campagnola tangles with ivy that overgrows the fence.’
- ‘Some colonies have the ability to grow beyond a small, initial hard substrate, and overgrow a particulate substrate.’
- ‘Jasmine and hibiscus have overgrown this site, which is now as green and resplendent as the rest of the Vietnamese countryside.’
- ‘Their essentially two-dimensional mode of growth often brings them into contact with other benthic organisms that tend to overgrow them.’
- ‘At the latest, low-temperature stage, calcite develops steep scalenohedra and overgrows stilbite or apophyllite.’
- ‘The rule here is, if they overgrow your pond, throw the excess onto your compost pile.’
- ‘In all the experiments, new recruits of crusts were overgrown by turf.’
- ‘Massive polycrystalline pyrite may also overgrow the plant axis, sometimes completely enclosing it.’
- ‘When sea stars were experimentally removed, mussels moved down the shore, overgrowing all other species on primary rock surfaces.’
- ‘Acropora is the genus most affected by bleaching in the Maldives but it is very competitive and will overgrow slower-growing corals if the conditions are right, as they are here.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.