One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decoration or a second glaze applied to glazed ceramic ware.
- ‘Practically invisible or blatantly obvious, these so-called slipups made centuries ago survive today beneath vitrified coats of clear overglaze and provide snapshots of the innovative and ingenious decorative techniques employed.’
- ‘The designs are put on either with an underglaze, a sort of drawing technique, or overglaze, which is more like montage.’
- ‘In graffito pottery the design was produced by scratching though the overglaze.’
- ‘This brilliant, almost emerald green is actually a two-part paint system that consists of a basecoat covered with a semitransparent overglaze.’
(of painting, printing, or other decoration) done on a glazed surface.‘overglaze enamel’
- ‘Such visible placement of overglaze writing is characteristic of more sophisticated and expensive wares, and is particularly rare in archaeological finds from the Americas.’
- ‘A very typical pattern for the Persian market has an overglaze cobalt blue border with many gold stars and most often a central floral bouquet accented with iron red.’
- ‘Perhaps in an attempt to mimic the bright colors of enameled Chinese and English porcelain, both plain and molded white stoneware was also sometimes enriched with overglaze polychrome painting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.