Excessively generous.‘she was not overgenerous with praise’
generous, magnanimous, open-handed, unsparing, unstinting, ungrudging, lavish, free, munificent, bountiful, beneficent, benevolent, big-hearted, kind-hearted, kind, philanthropic, charitable, altruistic, unselfishView synonyms
- ‘Having being overgenerous in its first table of standard values, the ministry has now swung the other way and the new rates represent a pretty unattractive underpinning of the market.’
- ‘It may also be worth making IE's page margins narrower, as they can sometimes be overgenerous.’
- ‘Positive assessments of professional behaviour are reported more extensively than negative ones, leading to overgenerous evaluations.’
- ‘The problem is that the system is overgenerous in paying for unnecessarily specialized health care and drugs for a notoriously hypochondriac nation (especially the middle classes).’
- ‘Continental nations, beset by deep structural problems arising out of their overgenerous welfare states, look enviously at Britain's relatively high economic growth, low unemployment, and rising standard of living.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.