One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Fly over (a place or territory)‘the first airship to overfly the North Pole’
- ‘We now understand that helicopters are overflying the Green Zone.’
- ‘Please contact Syrian air control and arrange for us permission to overfly Syrian airspace en route to Baghdad.’
- ‘The Australian space safety regime has been modelled on the US rules, but has been made even tighter because some of the rockets will have to overfly the Australian mainland.’
- ‘The government granted permission for US military aircraft to land and overfly Ireland only on the basis that they are not part of any military operation.’
- 1.1 Fly beyond (a place or thing)‘overfly the radio beacon by approximately 15 seconds’
- ‘Then, continue climbing in the pattern and overfly the runway so you leave the airport with good altitude already in the bank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.