Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Engage in too much or too strenuous exertion.
- ‘If you're able to hold a conversation while jogging, it's a good sign you're not overexerting yourself.’
- ‘The doctors said that I had overexerted myself and that's what made me pass out.’
- ‘It is important to note that serious heat illness is more likely to occur in people who are overexerting and not as well conditioned.’
- ‘You must have overexerted yourself screaming at Chon because you just collapsed.’
- ‘If you do go directly to high altitude by car or plane, do not overexert yourself or move higher for the first 24 hours’
- ‘My doctors cautioned me to avoid doing any activity that would overexert my heart, so I rarely exercised.’
- ‘Both are mass-produced, which evidently overexerts the natural resources.’
- ‘The doctor had told me that I had been unconscious for three days because I had overexerted my body.’
- ‘We have to make sure that she does not overexert herself.’
- ‘As far as I can tell, she's simply ill and she overexerted herself.’
- ‘You overexerted some of your muscles and several small tears had appeared in your lower leg muscle.’
- ‘The cat had overexerted himself chasing it, and had gone down defiantly with his prey in his paws.’
- ‘She's afraid that I've been overexerting myself.’
- ‘The walls are infused with healing crystals in case someone overexerts themselves.’
- ‘He had overexerted himself and was now suffering with a fever.’
- ‘Exercise to maintain body heat but don't overexert.’
- ‘High blood pressure forces your heart to overexert itself.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.