One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Engage in too much or too strenuous exertion.
- ‘If you're able to hold a conversation while jogging, it's a good sign you're not overexerting yourself.’
- ‘High blood pressure forces your heart to overexert itself.’
- ‘As far as I can tell, she's simply ill and she overexerted herself.’
- ‘The doctors said that I had overexerted myself and that's what made me pass out.’
- ‘She's afraid that I've been overexerting myself.’
- ‘My doctors cautioned me to avoid doing any activity that would overexert my heart, so I rarely exercised.’
- ‘The walls are infused with healing crystals in case someone overexerts themselves.’
- ‘It is important to note that serious heat illness is more likely to occur in people who are overexerting and not as well conditioned.’
- ‘You overexerted some of your muscles and several small tears had appeared in your lower leg muscle.’
- ‘We have to make sure that she does not overexert herself.’
- ‘If you do go directly to high altitude by car or plane, do not overexert yourself or move higher for the first 24 hours’
- ‘He had overexerted himself and was now suffering with a fever.’
- ‘You must have overexerted yourself screaming at Chon because you just collapsed.’
- ‘Both are mass-produced, which evidently overexerts the natural resources.’
- ‘The doctor had told me that I had been unconscious for three days because I had overexerted my body.’
- ‘Exercise to maintain body heat but don't overexert.’
- ‘The cat had overexerted himself chasing it, and had gone down defiantly with his prey in his paws.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.