One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively friendly or expressive; too effusive.
effusive, over-effusive, enthusiastic, over-enthusiastic, unrestrained, unreserved, extravagant, fulsome, lavish, gushy, rhapsodic, lyrical, exuberant, ebullient, expansiveView synonyms
- ‘Now was not the time I needed to be dealing with over-effusive members of the local constabulary.’
- ‘Chicken liver pate is a world-beating taste sensation in my over-effusive book.’
- ‘She really couldn't be bothered with the stupid, over-effusive little man.’
- ‘The smell rushed in, in the manner of an over-effusive neighbour.’
- ‘She was not over-effusive - that is not her style.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.