Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Eat too much.‘the effect of overeating is weight gain’
eat too much, be greedy, eat like a horse, overindulge, overindulge oneself, surfeit, guzzle, feastbinge, binge-eat, stuff one's face, stuff oneself, pack it away, put it away, make a pig of oneself, pig oneself, pig outscarf outgourmandize, gluttonizeView synonyms
- ‘When the study stopped, they started overeating.’
- ‘Avoid overeating and drinking alcohol on the flight.’
- ‘To relieve the suffering of indigestion caused by overeating, take three to four hawthorns or drink a cup of hawthorn tea to ease the discomfort.’
- ‘That was the only night I really felt close to overeating, partly because of the champagne and wine we drank.’
- ‘Such research does not tell us anything important about overeating that we didn't already know.’
- ‘Seriously restricting food intake, or overeating and then purging, causes levels of vital nutrients in the body to plummet.’
- ‘A meal in the morning boosts your energy and brainpower, say experts, and can ward off mood swings and overeating later in the day.’
- ‘Notably, heavy alcohol use, overeating, and excessive smoking may also play a part.’
- ‘In fact, the principal eating disorder in the United Kingdom today is overeating.’
- ‘Overweight people often have low self-esteem, easily adopt the role of a failure and even punish themselves by overeating again.’
- ‘The team also drew a few guffaws locally when their coach, a Quebecois named Yves Boily, told the media his team was overeating.’
- ‘A bowl of healthy soup gives you the biggest value for your caloric buck and keeps you from overeating during your main course.’
- ‘Moreover, foods rich in fat are delicious and easily lead to overeating.’
- ‘She then found herself afflicted by a syndrome that has affected many of her peers - a round of dieting and overeating.’
- ‘A denied craving can quickly spiral out of control, leading to bingeing or overeating.’
- ‘And parental absence also means that lots of kids sit at home or in an after-hours care program overeating.’
- ‘Many other factors conspired to make overeating acceptable and increase people's waistlines.’
- ‘Scientists who turned their attention to nutrition in the nineteenth century began to argue against overeating.’
- ‘Overeaters Anonymous differentiates normal eating from overeating, and encourages abstinence from overeating.’
- ‘The sense of danger which occurs when you do not overeat feels greater than the suffering you experience because you are overeating.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.