One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[NO OBJECT]usually as noun overdrinking
Drink too much alcohol.
drink, swallow, gulp, gulp down, guzzle, slurp, attack, down, drink down, drink up, force down, get down, finish off, polish off, drain, empty, imbibe, have, take, partake of, ingest, consume, sup, sip, lapView synonyms
- ‘Marriage experts said marital problems were likely to be made acute by overdrinking during the holiday, and by absence of family members.’
- ‘Andreas felt he had crossed a line that Kiara had drawn against alcohol and overdrinking.’
- ‘I am quite sure that I shall overdrink him and outfight him.’
- ‘Do you often counter depressive moods by some sort of potentially harmful compulsive behavior such as overworking, overspending, overdrinking, or overeating?’
- ‘Despite my cyclically bad relationship with food and booze, I don't actually want those lapses - some of them long lapses of overeating and overdrinking - to be the basis of my lifestyle.’
- ‘There was an incident in which he overdrank that led to his death.’
- ‘Drinking alcohol on an empty stomach can lead to overeating and overdrinking, so eat a small snack before going to a social event and alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.