One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The reasons behind this may well be the influence of their parents' overcompensation for their distance from the old country, in the way they try to reconstruct that culture for their children's upbringing.’
- ‘Her stridency on this particular point suggests overcompensation: the professionalism she so decried in her public writings was perhaps so troubling because she was so implicated in it herself.’
- ‘A ratio greater than 1.0 indicates overcompensation.’
- ‘But the facade always smacked of overcompensation.’
- ‘But there is an actuality of financial interest which justifies disqualification because of the potential for bias, the fear of bias, or, if you like, overcompensation the other way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.