One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The situation in which an industry or factory cannot sell as much as it can produce.
- ‘In addition, the long bull market has led to overcapacity.’
- ‘In a world of overcapacity, every company is desperate to sell what it can, if only to help offset its fixed costs.’
- ‘Maybe some industry somewhere isn't loaded with global overcapacity, but I'm still looking for it.’
- ‘European mass-market car makers are struggling in the face of intense price competition brought on partly by overcapacity in the industry.’
- ‘Concerned about overcapacity in the auto industry, policy makers in Beijing have been engaged in a lengthy effort to curb auto loans.’
- ‘The worldwide overcapacity in steel is larger than the U.S. steel industry.’
- ‘The company needs to address, and quickly, efficiency improvements in reaction to the rapid competition that has built up as a result of overcapacity within the industry.’
- ‘Management claims that its Brazilian plants suffer from overcapacity under conditions in which the internal market for autos has declined.’
- ‘The hope is that, after so many years of cutting back, the industry has shed most of its overcapacity and is poised for an upturn as demand rebounds.’
- ‘In this steep economic downturn, markets are flushing out overcapacity, winnowing the weak from the strong.’
- ‘Now, if they're in an industry suffering from overcapacity and bloated asset prices, they should worry if vultures aren't in sight.’
- ‘Demand has been hurt by the problems at the airlines, the telecom bust, and overcapacity in many industries.’
- ‘In both cases, overcapacity led to declining profit rates.’
- ‘Industry overcapacity has cut profits, driven consolidation and increased the tension between automakers and suppliers.’
- ‘And it now looks like he may bite the bullet and close at least a couple of auto plants to reduce GM's overcapacity.’
- ‘Just about every industry faces overcapacity.’
- ‘It faces dramatic industry overcapacity and near-flat worldwide demand.’
- ‘If the economy slows, overcapacity could crunch profits in China’
- ‘The move has essentially sabotaged Germany's construction industry, which is plagued by massive overcapacity.’
- ‘The auto industry faces a global crisis of overcapacity and every major automaker is involved in mergers, corporate restructuring and downsizing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.