Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unpleasantly or arrogantly domineering.‘his overbearing, sometimes ruthless desire to succeed’
domineering, dominating, autocratic, tyrannical, despotic, heavy-handed, oppressive, high-handed, bullying, high and mighty, lordly, lording it, officious, masterful, dictatorial, bossy, imperious, pontifical, pompous, peremptory, arrogant, cocksure, proud, overproud, overweening, presumptuous, opinionated, dogmaticpushy, throwing one's weight about, cockyView synonyms
- ‘The dictionary definition of arrogance suggests overbearing behavior based on inappropriate views.’
- ‘But like many young talents, he fell victim to an overbearing and ambitious parent, intent on living through his son.’
- ‘Did they have an overbearing father to live up to?’
- ‘I was wearing a festive but not overbearing reddish shirt and Keith was decked out in some sleek black duds.’
- ‘A new survey has revealed that overbearing mothers-in-law are to blame for as many as one in five marriage breakdowns.’
- ‘Our disciple goes from pompous to positively overbearing.’
- ‘Such a dangerous, overbearing contraption can no longer be relied upon to deliver the social contracts with its citizens that it once did.’
- ‘One man enters the male-only space to escape a conflicted marriage with his overbearing, combative wife.’
- ‘Wilhemina is a rising surgeon who begrudgingly meets and greets inept blind dates to appease her overbearing mother.’
- ‘It claimed that an overbearing and threatening management style was leading to staff stress, inefficiency and ill-health.’
- ‘The letters show a devoted if overbearing husband who constantly chides his wife to write more often and to keep up her spirits.’
- ‘Besides, with my hideous deformity and your overbearing mother, we'd only be punishing ourselves.’
- ‘When you have an inbred arrogance, you are undoubtedly going to appear overbearing and rude.’
- ‘At all levels, cunning teachers allied with overbearing students.’
- ‘My parents aren't the snoopy, overbearing kind that stop by to check on your laundry technique.’
- ‘This is a small, proud country existing in the shadow of a large, overbearing neighbour.’
- ‘You can also meet excessively overbearing golfers who want to solve everything with an arrogant order.’
- ‘It promotes a large, bureaucratic, overbearing government state which is protected from free market competition.’
- ‘Heavy, overbearing guitars clash with feeble pianos, annoying violins, and misplaced horns.’
- ‘The waiters, by the way, were exceptionally helpful without being overbearing, and really seemed to know what to advise.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.