One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of cookware) suitable for use in an oven; heat-resistant.
- ‘Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish (with a lid) on the hob.’
- ‘To assemble, lay the aubergine slices in the base of a large ovenproof dish, tip in the mince and then lay the remaining aubergines on top.’
- ‘In an ovenproof dish combine the prawns, olive oil, garlic and half of the parsley.’
- ‘Place the plums in an ovenproof dish, in a single layer, cut side up.’
- ‘Remove from the heat and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Place the Bramleys and raspberries in a large ovenproof dish, add the caster sugar and toss together until the fruit is coated.’
- ‘Wash the pears and pack tightly, side by side in a deep ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Use a few drops of the oil to grease an ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Pour into a round, 20 cm-deep, ovenproof dish and allow to cool.’
- ‘Put the fish fillet in a low-sided ovenproof dish, ex-skin side up.’
- ‘Put the tomatoes, cut side uppermost, in an ovenproof dish and season.’
- ‘In an ovenproof dish big enough to fit the fish, lay one piece of baking paper lengthways along the base and sides of the dish.’
- ‘Arrange one packet's worth of ginger biscuits over the bottom of an ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Use some of the butter to grease a flat, ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Place the lamb chunks in a heavy earthenware or ovenproof dish with a lid.’
- ‘Peel and slice 900g of potatoes and arrange a layer over the bottom of a large ovenproof dish’
- ‘Place the chillies and the garlic in a small ovenproof dish.’
- ‘Tip the mixture into an ovenproof dish, mounding it up in the middle.’
- ‘Line the base of an ovenproof dish with slices of Madeira cake.’
- ‘Spoon the batter into a prepared 1.5 litre ovenproof dish and bake at 180C for about 1 hour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.