One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food) prepared before sale so as to be ready for cooking in an oven.
pre-cooked, tv, frozen, convenienceView synonyms
- ‘Now that I have to fit the writing of this blog into my busy schedule of sleeping and watching Coronation Street, I'm consuming larger quantities of oven-ready pizza.’
- ‘They included Stilton cheese, oven-ready chicken, cooked ham, pork pies, yoghurt and pasta salad.’
- ‘How about giant frogfish, the size of small oven-ready chickens, in various colours and often in pairs?’
- ‘Still, he has had to work hard to stave off competition from big retailers, and specialist sausages and oven-ready dishes like Irish stew and chicken with lemon and coriander sauce are a big part of the business.’
- ‘The idea is for Frankie to give his name to a range of Italian foods - from olive oil, ham, and pasta to oven-ready meals and diet foods.’
- ‘In this era of omnipresent oven-ready meals produced for those without the desire to cook, surely a spot of recreational baking at weekends would rekindle the family's belief in the old-fashioned creed that home-made is best.’
- ‘Sainsbury's sells oven-ready partridge; pheasant (whole and breasts); game casserole; and farmed venison.’
- ‘An increasing number of people are demanding pre-prepared, oven-ready meals and pre-packed, pre-sliced meat to fit in with their lifestyles.’
- ‘It's not every day that you become the recipient of a large bird, and if you do then it's normally oven-ready and delivered by Tesco.’
- ‘The first delivery of organic oven-ready chickens last Friday was sold out within an hour.’
- ‘The next 32 runners-up were each given an oven-ready duck to take home for dinner.’
- ‘Brown four oven-ready pigeons in a little oil in a heavy casserole dish.’
- ‘But a recently introduced oven-ready dried lasagna meets Bolognese standards with ease.’
- ‘But I have already prepared the fish, and made it oven-ready.’
- ‘The company's frozen products, Glory Foods Southern Selections, is a line of oven-ready and microwavable frozen entrées and side dishes geared to consumers looking to save time and money.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.