Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Bake (food or a dish) in an oven.‘crack open an egg into the centre of your pizza before oven-baking it’‘oven-baked salmon’
cook, oven-bake, dry-roast, roast, spit-roast, pot-roastView synonyms
- ‘I think they were oven baked, and they were both soggy and flavourless.’
- ‘Once it is cooked (in much the same way as a pumpkin, by pricking the skin and oven-baking or boiling), cut it in half and discard the seeds.’
- ‘I decided to oven-bake the rhubarb.’
- ‘Being a sucker for oysters I tried the oven-baked oysters which came with a generous serving of bacon, bell peppers and tomato.’
- ‘They used only small button mushrooms, and oven baked them with sweet Indonesian soy sauce and oregano.’
- ‘The options were a sad-looking lasagne, an oven-baked white fish covered with tomato slices, and a vegetarian paella.’
- ‘You can either continue to fry, grill, or oven-bake the bacon as you would normally.’
- ‘Tonight's supper was oven baked chicken fingers, scalloped potatoes, glazed carrots, and seasoned green beans.’
- ‘Rosemary adds delicious flavor to chicken, roasting potatoes or oven-baked potato chips.’
- ‘For the main course, I made homemade oven-baked falafel with roasted root vegetables, almond salsa and a delicious tomato sauce.’
- ‘Fish fans could catch a halibut steak pan fried with white wine and prawns, oven-baked sea bass with olives, cherry tomatoes, garlic and white wine or a tuna steak in a classic tomato sauce.’
- ‘We'll eat the fish probably with some oven-baked chips, then we'll have salad afterwards.’
- ‘These oven-baked black radish chips turned out really tasty: their natural pungency is toned down by the baking, yet the edge remains, and they proved quite addictive.’
- ‘This dish can also be served as an accompaniment to antipasto or served with pan-fried or oven-baked fish.’
- ‘Place on a baking sheet and oven-bake for approx 20 minutes.’
- ‘I do know that this pizza bears little resemblance to real oven-baked pizza.’
- ‘I never used to see people setting up plastic tables and pulling out oven-baked pasta picnics here.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.