Having an oval outline or ovoid shape, like an egg.
oval, egg-shaped, elliptic, ovate, ovoid, oviform, ellipsoidalView synonyms
- ‘The shape varies but it is usually ovate, kidney-shaped, or bean-shaped.’
- ‘The red mangrove with smaller, ovate leaves, grows in the shallow edges of the water.’
- ‘The lobes, which are preserved as carbonized remains of round or ovate outline, have a thickened or darkened rim.’
- ‘The surfaces have an ovate outline and are mildly convex.’
- ‘This proposed suborder is defined by a number of synapomorphies of the carapace including ovate shape, presence of an oblique fold, short hinge line, and a convex posterior margin.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin ovatus egg-shaped.