Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A female reproductive organ in which ova or eggs are produced, present in humans and other vertebrates as a pair.
- ‘The presence of a Y chromosome results in the somatic cells of the embryo's gonads developing into testes rather than into ovaries.’
- ‘Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.’
- ‘They mimic the hormones produced by the female ovaries and the male testes in animals, which regulate growth and reproduction.’
- ‘One hypothesis takes into consideration the fact that, in females, the eggs are present in the ovaries at birth.’
- ‘The yolk proteins produced in both the ovary and hepatopancreas carry the vital lipids to the developing eggs.’
- ‘A missing receptor molecule contributes to the growth of tumors in human ovaries.’
- ‘At the upper corners of the uterus, the fallopian tubes connect the uterus to the ovaries.’
- ‘A general correlation was found between bacterial levels in eggs and those found in ovaries and testis.’
- ‘In the female reproductive tract, the ovary and the placenta have been identified as sources of RLF.’
- ‘Steroids are produced by the cortex or outer layer of the adrenal gland and by the ovaries and testes.’
- ‘This misplaced tissue may be found on the ovaries, uterus, bowel, pelvis and abdomen.’
- ‘Iron can also accumulate in the endocrine gland system and can result in decreased function of the ovary or testis.’
- ‘They are produced mainly by the female ovaries and male testes, which are endocrine glands.’
- ‘There was an increased amount of fibrous and adipose tissue below the left ovary, alongside the uterus.’
- ‘No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.’
- ‘The remaining uterus, cervix, ovaries, and fallopian tubes were otherwise unremarkable.’
- ‘One process is the coordination of the ovary and hepatopancreas in their capacity for yolk protein production.’
- ‘Tests might include, for example, an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to look at the uterus and ovaries.’
- ‘The ovaries are two small organs that are part of the female reproductive system.’
- ‘Nearly equal amounts of the hormone are derived from the adrenal glands and the ovaries.’
- 1.1Botany The hollow base of the carpel of a flower, containing one or more ovules.
- ‘This initial excess establishes the conditions for resource competition among flowers and their ovaries.’
- ‘Many possess, at the base of the ovary, a disc-like nectary from which nectar is secreted via modified stomata.’
- ‘At the septum, pollen tubes migrate into the ovary and approach an ovule containing an FG.’
- ‘If both of the ovaries in a flower contained pollen tubes a mean value was used in the analyses.’
- ‘Each carpel has a terminal stigma and a basal ovary with a single ovule.’
Mid 17th century: from modern Latin ovarium, from Latin ovum egg.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.