Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Last longer than.‘a material that will outwear any other waterproof sheeting’
- ‘It opens with abrasive electronics - mixing board screeches and processed vocal squalls - that outwear their welcome.’
- ‘Cooper takes this advantage and presses the issue for twenty-seven minutes, crafting short themes that are memorable enough to never outwear their welcome.’
- ‘The last thing you want is for something tragic to outwear its welcome by cutting into your relaxation time.’
- ‘When the cage outwore its novelty and was sent back to the warehouse, the company was going to discard it.’
- ‘Clocking in at a respectable 44 minutes, the band never outwears its welcome on the listener.’
- ‘The free market system has at last come of age and the desirability and need for planned economies such as the welfare state have outworn their use and outstayed their welcome.’
- 1.1Exhaust; wear out; wear away.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.