One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A convex navel.‘her belly button is clearly an outie’
- ‘An "outie" is a result of a remaining umbilical cord that maintains some of its blood supply after being cut.’
- ‘Some patients have a very small or an 'outie' belly button or other anatomical consideration where they really don't want their belly button altered.’
- ‘Umbilicoplasty turns that "outy" inwards.’
- ‘There are three different types of patients who request the navel correction procedure, but it is that patient with an "outie" bellybutton who demands the technique for its aesthetic appeal.’
- ‘Bellybuttons can generally be divided into innies and outies.’
- ‘Daisy's cord fell off - and it looks like she hasn't got an outy.’
- ‘But since I'm a sporting type, and I like your company, I will let you know that it's an innie, not an outie.’
- ‘It's just that my belly button was born as an innie and has no business becoming an outie, at least not without my express permission.’
- ‘To surgically alter the navel, Dr. Nadler recommends opening the stalk which forms the "outie" to remove the hard tissue inside.’
1970s: from out + -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.