One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The grassy area beyond the infield.
- ‘In high-traffic areas, where players stand in the outfield, we use rubber crumbs from recycled tires.’
- ‘The ball is sent scuttling through the outfield with fielders trailing in its wake.’
- ‘He is learning to play the corner outfield positions.’
- ‘All had secured a high-priced placement along stadium billboards and outfield fences.’
- ‘He recently learned to play the outfield corners and is an outstanding pinch hitter.’
- 1.1Cricket The part of the field furthest from the wicket.
- ‘Ludicrous plans to move the entire stadium away from the sea had happily been shelved and his team of helpers were raking stones off the outfield by hand.’
- ‘No-one takes guard at the wicket and the outfield is as rough as a public park.’
- ‘The wicket and outfield was so batsman friendly that any batsman worth his salt could have turned the match on its head.’
- ‘It was a slow wicket with an outfield I wouldn't have played football on, and it was never going to be easy to score runs.’
- ‘The first two days of play had been interrupted due to intermittent showers and a soggy outfield.’
- 1.2treated as singular or plural The players stationed in the outfield, collectively.
- ‘The club has one of the fastest outfields in the majors.’
- ‘Philadelphia's outfield is full of question marks.’
- ‘The Mariners' outfield was a revolving door last season thanks to injuries and ineffectiveness.’
- ‘As yesterday's game showed the outfield is an embarrassment.’
- ‘Two-thirds of the starting outfield is new.’
- ‘That makes you think back to the days of the star outfields in the National League, when you had Mays, Aaron, Clemente and Frank Robinson.’
- ‘The move also gave the A's one of the game's best defensive outfields.’
- 1.3Soccer as modifier Relating to or denoting all of the players in a team apart from the goalkeeper.‘the outfield players’‘he has played in all of the outfield positions during his career’
- ‘To be fair the quality of the outfield positions are excellent now but the goalkeepers are actually woeful.’
- ‘The financial tumult at the club has had a galvanising effect but he says that with a squad of only 17 outfield players, good fortune and consistency will be key to top-flight survival.’
- ‘A thrilling 70th minute move involving two thirds of Liverpool's outfield players produced an incisive fourth goal.’
- ‘In spite of dominating the outfield play Hibs found themselves trailing to a couple of spectacular goals by the Hearts forward, Colquhoun.’
- ‘The sight of the outfield player anxiously pulling on an outsized goalkeeper jersey is too rarely seen in these days of substitute goalkeepers.’
2The outlying land of a farm.
- ‘Infields and outfields are not internally fenced but are separated by a stone wall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.