One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing worn over other clothes, especially outdoors.
- ‘Things once considered undergarments regularly appear as outerwear.’
- ‘Your coat or outerwear is the look you have whenever you go outdoors.’
- ‘In this case, the uniform may include ‘utilities, chemical warfare protective clothing, and similar combat outerwear.’’
- ‘Don it with just about any type of outerwear: a leather jacket, a pea coat, and most definitely a parka.’
- ‘The site offers over 250 styles of men's and women's sportswear and outerwear, as well as hunting wear, including blaze wool and camouflage.’
- ‘Many people are often stuck on how to match outerwear with dresses.’
- ‘They come in a wide variety of weights and thicknesses, and are used in everything from dress outerwear to hunting outerwear, gloves and sleeping bags.’
- ‘The wise dealer will choose a few good quality items of long underwear, outerwear, boots and accessories and stock them in as many sizes as practical.’
- ‘This spring, instead of buying your usual boring outerwear, get yourself a lavish, top-stitched dark denim jean jacket.’
- ‘If the shirts sold well, they would launch a full menswear collection to include suits, trousers, outerwear, activewear, denim, and accessories.’
- ‘Launder or dry-clean all clothing and outerwear.’
- ‘Whether you are wearing them for underwear or outerwear, boxers are the way to go.’
- ‘In 1985, girls pioneered underwear as outerwear.’
- ‘They were also able to expand their clothing line to include denim outfits, sweatshirts, outerwear, and accessories.’
- ‘The top-selling outerwear, leather and denim line for men has inspired a new label for young women.’
- ‘Shearling jackets are the latest in men's outerwear.’
- ‘You're already a step ahead of the rest with your new spring jacket, but there's no use stepping out with the coolest outerwear if your clothing doesn't follow suit.’
- ‘Another great example of his growing expertise in designing outerwear was his graphite grey notch collar overcoat (with its pistachio nylon jacket liner).’
- ‘This is particularly true in winter, when scarves, boots, sweaters and other outerwear can clutter up hallway or mudroom space.’
- ‘Sizes range from 10 to 22, and prices start at $300 for sweaters, $900 for outerwear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.