Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A planet whose orbit lies outside the asteroid belt, i.e., Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, or Neptune.
- ‘The three outer planets were Jupiter-class gas giants, with an asteroid belt between the first gas giant and the second gas giant.’
- ‘Now, however, they appear to be the most effective way to reach the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘The Voyager mission took advantage of a rare alignment of the outer planets that allowed the spacecraft to receive gravitational boosts at each planet, which were necessary to complete the journey to the next planet.’
- ‘It could thus accelerate itself to very high speeds in the outer System - and also decelerate itself later to enter orbit around outer planets.’
- ‘These are separated into four inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) and five outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto).’
- ‘No matter how many messages you leave me, there will only ever be twenty-four hours in a day until we start to colonise the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘Launched in the late summer of 1977 within weeks of each other, the two probes made for the outer planets Saturn and Jupiter.’
- ‘The late, legendary space scientist Carl Sagan picked him to work on Voyager - a probe to the outer planets of the solar system that is still sending data more than 26 years later.’
- ‘The impetus for the Voyager mission was to exploit a rare configuration of four of the outer planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, which occurs only every 175 years.’
- ‘Modern astrologers have increasingly applied this principle to the dyadic alignments of the three outer planets - Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto - to illuminate the archetypal underpinnings of pivotal transitions in human history.’
- ‘One of four gas giant outer planets (along with Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune), Saturn is the second most massive planet in the solar system.’
- ‘Pioneer 10 and 11 were the first spacecraft to venture beyond the asteroid belt into the realm of the outer planets.’
- ‘Apart from looking for evidence of life on Mars, the major task of the fledgling Lowell Observatory was a search for a further outer planet, and that project led to the discovery of Pluto in 1930.’
- ‘Probes have shown us stunning images of the rings of Saturn and the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘And, until we establish colonies on asteroids and outer planets, this paradigm is not going to change.’
- ‘Since solar power decreases with the square of the distance from the Sun, missions to the outer planets require an alternate power source.’
- ‘Further afield there are the starkly beautiful pictures taken by Voyager, of a ringed Saturn and the outer planets, Uranus and Neptune.’
- ‘The comparative scales of the paired bodies roughly correspond to those of the five outer planets of our solar system: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.’
- ‘The moons of the outer planets in the solar system are also rich with various kinds of ices.’
- ‘Hence the outer planets Mars, Jupiter and Saturn have a more prominent influence, and were accordingly given larger orbs than the inferiors Mercury and Venus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.