One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A planet whose orbit lies outside the asteroid belt, i.e. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, or Neptune.
- ‘Pioneer 10 and 11 were the first spacecraft to venture beyond the asteroid belt into the realm of the outer planets.’
- ‘The comparative scales of the paired bodies roughly correspond to those of the five outer planets of our solar system: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.’
- ‘Hence the outer planets Mars, Jupiter and Saturn have a more prominent influence, and were accordingly given larger orbs than the inferiors Mercury and Venus.’
- ‘Since solar power decreases with the square of the distance from the Sun, missions to the outer planets require an alternate power source.’
- ‘Now, however, they appear to be the most effective way to reach the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘These are separated into four inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) and five outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto).’
- ‘No matter how many messages you leave me, there will only ever be twenty-four hours in a day until we start to colonise the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘The moons of the outer planets in the solar system are also rich with various kinds of ices.’
- ‘It could thus accelerate itself to very high speeds in the outer System - and also decelerate itself later to enter orbit around outer planets.’
- ‘Launched in the late summer of 1977 within weeks of each other, the two probes made for the outer planets Saturn and Jupiter.’
- ‘The three outer planets were Jupiter-class gas giants, with an asteroid belt between the first gas giant and the second gas giant.’
- ‘The late, legendary space scientist Carl Sagan picked him to work on Voyager - a probe to the outer planets of the solar system that is still sending data more than 26 years later.’
- ‘One of four gas giant outer planets (along with Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune), Saturn is the second most massive planet in the solar system.’
- ‘Apart from looking for evidence of life on Mars, the major task of the fledgling Lowell Observatory was a search for a further outer planet, and that project led to the discovery of Pluto in 1930.’
- ‘And, until we establish colonies on asteroids and outer planets, this paradigm is not going to change.’
- ‘Modern astrologers have increasingly applied this principle to the dyadic alignments of the three outer planets - Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto - to illuminate the archetypal underpinnings of pivotal transitions in human history.’
- ‘Probes have shown us stunning images of the rings of Saturn and the outer planets of our solar system.’
- ‘The impetus for the Voyager mission was to exploit a rare configuration of four of the outer planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, which occurs only every 175 years.’
- ‘The Voyager mission took advantage of a rare alignment of the outer planets that allowed the spacecraft to receive gravitational boosts at each planet, which were necessary to complete the journey to the next planet.’
- ‘Further afield there are the starkly beautiful pictures taken by Voyager, of a ringed Saturn and the outer planets, Uranus and Neptune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.