One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period when a power supply or other service is not available or when equipment is closed down.
- ‘They tend to simply shut off their production lines, if the power outage is for extended periods.’
- ‘Service outages prevent applications from communicating across the network.’
- ‘However, many homes were left without power due to outages and electricity wires brought down by fallen trees also posed a problem.’
- ‘Providing phone service during a power outage is another technical problem.’
- ‘Analysts estimate such power outages contribute to about 25 percent of network downtime.’
- ‘It's ideal for remote vacation cabins with no electricity or areas prone to power outages.’
- ‘In the event of alternating power outages, water would have to be supplied via tanker trucks, he added.’
- ‘Stock up on non-perishable food and water supplies in case of a power outage.’
- ‘There is a shortage of water, and there are frequent electric power outages in the larger cities.’
- ‘There have also been significantly fewer instances of lower voltage power outages.’
- ‘Our hotel has high ceilings, spacious rooms, and constant power outages.’
- ‘And widespread damage and widespread power outages are reported across Florida.’
- ‘This would have brought an end to the frequent power outages that plagued the territory persistently last year.’
- ‘So let's hope there are no power outages in that area any time soon.’
- ‘In extreme cases they cause electrical power outages and damage to communications networks and satellites.’
- ‘Radio stations reported brief power outages and said residents of some areas scurried into the streets, fearing their houses might collapse.’
- ‘They tend to be easy to program, and because they run on batteries, the clocks do not lose time during power outages.’
- ‘In the event of a power outage, the inverter is no longer able to detect the grid and will not produce power.’
- ‘Most of the breakdowns happened because of power outages caused by salt spray on electricity lines or because of wind damage.’
- ‘You don't expect there to be a significant amount of electrical outages or power grid problems?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.