One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semiaquatic fish-eating mammal of the weasel family, with an elongated body, dense fur, and webbed feet.
- ‘Fishermen have kept records of catches over the years and many naturalists and field sports people recorded sightings of mammals like the otter.’
- ‘Most common are bears, orcas, sea lions, seals, otters, eagles, terns and cormorants.’
- ‘We were fortunate too that on our arrival a family of otters had decided to make the stretch of river running by the Mills their new home.’
- ‘Other animals spotted in Greater Manchester include otters, stoats and weasels.’
- ‘Although demand is no longer as high, raccoon pelts may still be sold as imitation mink, otter, or seal fur.’
- ‘They are carnivores like the stoat, weasel, otter and badger.’
- ‘A little higher off the forest floor, they can tick red squirrels, badgers, otters and foxes off their nature checklist, and if they are lucky, spot herds of red deer bounding over the hillside.’
- ‘It also walks on the soles of its feet like a bear, but the resemblance ends there, as the badger is actually from the same family as otters and weasels.’
- ‘Bald eagles, snowy egrets, great blue herons, otters, muskrat, and deer inhabit the banks of the Pocomoke River.’
- ‘Sometimes falling prey, on land, to wolves and coyotes, the otter's principal enemies are humans.’
- ‘As members of the marten family, giant otters are susceptible to both diseases.’
- ‘After last year's triumph, you are cordially invited to bring your otters, voles, badgers and weasels for a day's work experience.’
- ‘Next to this is an entire room filled with more exotic animals, including a monkey and baby, a pronghorn antelope and an otter.’
- ‘Darwin had already cited the mink and the otter as transitional in conversion of land carnivores to aquatic habits.’
- ‘The body of the mother otter was sent for post-mortem examination to try to establish how old the cubs might be.’
- ‘While it deals mainly with seals it has also rescued dolphins, porpoises, otters, deer, numerous birds and even a Siberian tiger.’
- ‘The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.’
- ‘They do, however, both belong to the same Mustelidae family which also encompasses badgers, skunks and otters, and that's close enough for us.’
- ‘Their latest data show that 38 percent of the live sea otter population and over half of the dead otters analyzed have been exposed to the parasite.’
- ‘The session begins with a mammal expert explaining more about water voles, otters and mink.’
Old English otr, ot(t)or, of Germanic origin; related to Greek hudros ‘water snake’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.