Inflammation of the ear, usually distinguished as otitis externa (of the passage of the outer ear), otitis media (of the middle ear), and otitis interna (of the inner ear; labyrinthitis)
- ‘They all presented with typical symptoms of bronchitis and recurrent sinusitis or otitis.’
- ‘Sinusitis and otitis media with effusion are recognised complications of rhinitis.’
- ‘Trauma, chronic exposure to moisture, and exostoses make otitis externa a common ailment among surfers.’
- ‘Other exclusion criteria were a diagnosis of chronic suppurative otitis media or otitis with effusion, and otoscopic appearance consistent with crying or fever alone.’
- ‘This difference was shown separately for recurrences of both acute otitis media and secretory otitis media.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek ous, ōt- ear + -itis.