One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounone's other half
A person's wife, husband, or partner.‘treat your other half to a romantic outing for two’
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘She sat at another table as her other half was apparently meeting her there soon and he has a bit of a temper.’
- ‘I was very pleasantly surprised when the editor introduced me and my other half to the rest of the team with a full bio.’
- ‘Running a business from home with your other half might sound like some people's idea of a nightmare.’
- ‘Luckily I was able to pinch a dollop from my other half as he had ordered roast beef and all the trimmings.’
- ‘It was great to see him and his other half albeit only for a couple of hours.’
- ‘Are they both striving for success and reluctant to give their other half the time they deserve?’
- ‘My other half and I are constantly trying to persuade each other to try something new, but to no avail.’
- ‘If she can't stop her other half straying, what chance do you think you have?’
- ‘My other half can treat himself to a slab and make it last a whole week.’
- ‘Forgive me - the other half has been away since Monday lunchtime and my libido is all backed up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.